Located 150 km from Vientiane, Vang Vieng is a very small town surrounded by mountains and rivers. It is known as a small, peaceful village without a lack of outdoor activities for tourists. Vang Vieng is a town on the bank of the Mekong river in Central Laos. This town is well known as a party site in Laos for years. There are many outdoor interesting activities for tourists such as mountain biking, trekking, kayaking, caving, swimming, and rock climbing.
1/ General information about Vang Vieng
It must be said that Vang Vieng is very small compared to Laos standards. There are no modern resorts, sophisticated buildings but because of peaceful and gentle entertainment activities. Every year Vang Vieng collects attracting a huge number of tourists is many times more than the number of local people. Most of Vang Vieng's shops and hotels are located near the Nam Song River and a few businesses located on the small island of Don Kang.
If you have seen enough of the unique architecture when you arrive in Vang Vieng on the best of Laos and Cambodia 13 day tours, you will have a chance to admire the beauty of its natural landscapes with bike trips, hovering over hot air balloons or floating in the river by kayak.
There is a bus stop in the town on the journey from the capital of Vientiane to the World Heritage Site of Luang Prabang. Vang Vieng is heading to be a tourist destination in the center of Laos. Although the infrastructure of the town is poor, it owns the stunning scenery of the river and rock formations that bring you dreaming of Laos as a romantic and gorgeous country.
Many tourists who have ever traveled around Southeast Asia, they have surely heard about tubing on the Nam Song River. There are many bars catering to tubers along the river that were opened by hedonistic backpackers. It is estimated there are about 20 bars lined along the bank of the river with pulsating music, drinking games, and drug-fuelled debauchery.
However, unfortunately, there was an accident happening that killed 27 tourists while partying on the river in 2011. The local authorities forced to put restrictions on the volume of the bar’s music and remove riverside swings. In 2015, 5 bars have been allowed to reoperate to serve tourists.
2/ Must-do things in Vang Vieng
- Kayaking: sailing on the Nam Song River to see images of Laos 6 days is a great experience to be able to collect all the eyes of Vang Vieng's majestic beauty. Businesses such as VLT Natural Tours and Kanhya Tour provide kayaking related services with experienced guides so you can get the most pleasant days here.
- Cycling around Vang Vieng: For those who want to do a few activities, Vang Vieng with trails around town or rugged mountain roads is suitable for a day of cycling. You can rent a car from bike rental shops for tourists to rent.
- Experience ATV: if you don't like bicycles because there's no challenge, ATV is another experience that will definitely appeal to those who love driving speed and love. ATV is like a car but it is much smaller and does not have a roof that is suitable for mountain forest roads.
- Climbing: Vang Vieng is one of the best places in Southeast Asia so you can enjoy climbing because there are many caves and limestone cliffs here.
- Hot air balloon: seeing Vang Vieng from above is an experience that any tourist traveling to Laos to Vang Vieng wants to try one of life. Indeed when looking at this town from above, you will surely be for the scenery for the majestic mountains, but have loved the land more and more.
Hope that after the post, you will have full information about Vang Vieng.